Regular school attendance is crucial to learning core skills, like literacy and numeracy, and achieving adequate levels of education for adult life. However, this message often needs to be delivered by role models beyond family and school. The sporting star status of the Brisbane Broncos brand has proven a very effective medium at communicating with young people.
Surat schools and 300 students engaged in Indigenous Girls Academy
Indigenous young people access weekly mentoring
students attended a 4 day cultural camp, visiting the Bunya Mountains
Indigenous students awarded academic scholarships
The Beyond the Broncos Girls Academy works directly with schools and communities to support Indigenous girls, from Years 7 to 12, into young adulthood.
The features of the program include:
- in-school mentoring and support from school-based Broncos staff
- semester challenges and rewards for attendance and behavior
- group presentations on topics including culture, lifestyle and careers
- support in completing Year 12 and developing career pathway plans, and
- exclusive access to Broncos staff, players, facilities and events.